Followers

Friday, February 13, 2009

STRIP AWAY ALL FALSE BELIEFS

Once again, Rebecca has written an article for the blog. Here she talks about justice from the perspective of someone on the wrong side of injustice.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


I read this one to Vicki, my Psychologist, and she said, “How are you going to do that?”
I said, “I’ve already been doing it since I got here.”


Learning and then finally accepting that Justice doesn’t really exist is a very difficult lesson. Even after all of the lies I was told by authorities here, after the outright refusal to reveal, then honor my Human Rights under the Mexican Constitution, and International Laws, after deliberate attempts were made to withhold information from me which would allow me the tools I desperately needed in order to form an adequate defense, after all of these psychological atrocities, the day of my hearing arrived and my mental picture of Justice remained unchanged as I sat in front of dozens of Canadian Reporters, 2 representatives of my American Consulate, my sister, my attorney, my co-accused Brenda Martin, presenting my arguments against the conclusions made by the prosecution.


My mind couldn’t process the scene that was unfolding, being played out. I thought, “Why doesn’t the Judge seem interested in what I am presenting and saying? Why does he take these chronological charts and evidence charts from me and not even glance at them before tossing them to one side? How naive I was to think that this “Hearing” was anything more than going through the motions. I resolved to present my charts and the 14 pages of text, which were all being translated into the ever growing voluminous tomes of paper accumulated in this case. If for no other reason than to preserve my right to do so. Clearly the Judge and oddly enough, Brenda Martin were sending impatient messages for me to conclude my futile attempts to – as I mistakenly thought – to adequately defend myself.


But, where did I go wrong in my thinking? By believing in the programmed image of what Justice looks like. Remember the scales of Justice? How they weigh out the evidence with impartiality. I believed that these hard-wired images, always unchangeably true for me, were true for the Judge who had the responsibility to view the case impartially.


This false belief turned into a low blow, an implosion of my belief system surrounding Justice. But, why would the Judge work so hard to twist the evidence so he could hand down a minimum sentence on both charges?
-- Proclaiming that I confessed! This can’t be legal – using a translated declaration (made as a witness not a suspect). Nowhere is there a confirmation by me that I was making a ‘confession’. Isn’t that part of what is required in a confession – that the party confessing knows they are confessing? According to the translated Sentencing Document, inferring that I was involved. According to the word infer used many times in the Conclusions, this is to take a known fact and extrapolate an unknown fact out of it. In other words --- guessing.
-- Guilt by association. Because Alyn Waage opened bank accounts all over the world and bought high end Real Estate all over Mexico, I am said to be guilty of doing this – also because he made wire transfers all over the world they say I am guilty of this too. If he shot someone while he was out of the country – using this logic then I would be guilty of pulling the trigger?
-- They don’t need to prove a crime was committed to apply the Organized Crime charge. “1984” – Where are the ‘thought Police’, because to be guilty of Organized Crime in this country (Mexico) you only have to discuss doing something illegal with 2 other persons (which I did not do) . Alyn Waage’s son’s confession puts the formation of this business at a date before I even knew them, and Cary Waage’s confession spells out the members of the organization and he doesn’t list me as one of them. Also, it should be noted that Cary Waage was asked if he understood that he was making a confession and if he understood what he was saying was a confession. No one ever asked me this question! They asked him if he accepted responsibility for this crime. He said, “yes”. No one asked me that question here in Mexico or in the US.
-- Not needing to prove what it was I did for Alyn Waage. Because they refused to accept my explanation of what my job was, they cited a rule, that they don’t have to prove the individual’s role in the organization because to have to do that would break down their ability to prosecute this type of crime!


There is a mountain of deceptive twists, errors, omissions and outright lies written into the Sentencing Document. My Public Defender (attorney) stated that what the Judge of the 7th District Court has done is nothing less than ‘Abuse of Power’.


Human beings are like computers. We are all programmed that certain things- such as in this example, Justice- are implemented using fair and unbiased reasoning in the same way. This has not been my experience and the aftermath of this deception sent me into a shaky dissolution of questioning what it is that I know for sure. What I know for sure now, is that I don’t know anything for sure. This is one example of stripping away false beliefs. This is not a bad thing, although it is a difficult thing to understand.


THE DISSOLUTION OF JUSTICE

I believe that modifying my programmed image of Justice will be a process. I am not about to accept this corrupt version to take the place of True Justice. I only have to recognize that it does exist and to be aware of its existence, yet strive to resurrect the True image of Justice whenever I am in a position to do so.


Poem:
THE DISSOLUTION OF JUSTICE
While justice was away
On holiday
Her evil counterparts
Deception, bias and corruption
Came to stay
Condemn, condemn, condemn we say
For there really isn’t any other way
To keep your status and high pay
To avoid your own condemnation anyway.

But when Justice returned one day
The locks were changed, she couldn’t stay
Slowly, sadly she turned away
Lifted her arms began to pray
“God lift the burden of dissolution
From my shoulders, awaken the
Sleeping conscience of the deceived
And comfort the victims with
Peace, long suffering and patience”

1 comment:

Shreya said...

Friday, February 13th, 2009 - the day this entry was made was the 4th anniversary of Rebecca's imprisonment. And last Friday, March 20th, was Rebecca's birthday - her 4th in Puente Grande. Her sister brought in a chocolate cake and two of her dorm mates decorated the table with paper place mats and other decorations they lovingly created. Six of us shared a birthday lunch. I was deeply moved at the feeling at that table, women together.